Fruits are healthy and taste good. They have vital vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants and phytochemicals. They are a rich source of nutrients that guard against several diseases. Also, they are easy to procure and cost less as compared to drugs.
The major fruits are listed below along with their respective nutritional value and health benefits.
- A medium Apple has 75 calories and 3 grams fiber. They have antioxidants a.k.a. flavonoids that reduce risks for diabetes and asthma.
- Half an Avocado has 114 calories, 4.5 grams fiber, vitamin E and folate. They have monounsaturated fats that reduce cholesterol levels.
A medium Banana has 105 calories, 3 grams fiber, vitamin B6, potassium and folate. They are a rich source of potassium and lower blood pressure.
Half cup of Blackberry has 31 calories, 4 grams fiber and antioxidants. Their color arises from an antioxidant anthocyanin that lowers risks for stroke and cancer.
- Half cup of Blueberry has 41 calories, 1.5 grams fiber and antioxidants. They assist in lowering the risks for diseases such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
Half cup of Cantaloupe has 25 calories, >1grams fiber, vitamin A, folate and potassium. They guard against cataracts due to antioxidant, beta-carotene.
Half cup of Cherry has 46 calories, 1.5 grams fiber and antioxidants. They have an antioxidant anthocyanin that guards against arthritis and gout.
- Half cup of Cranberry has 25 calories, 2.5 grams fiber and antioxidants. They are antibacterial and fight urinary tract infections, kidney stones and ulcers.
Two dried Figs have 42 calories, 1.5 grams fiber, potassium, calcium and iron. Due to their high fiber content they guard against cardiovascular disorders.
- Half cup of Goji berry has 90 calories, 2.5 grams fiber, vitamin A and antioxidants. They guard against diabetes and cancer.
Half cup of Grape has 53 calories, >1 grams fiber and manganese. They have an antioxidant resveratrol that reduces blood pressure and lowers the risk of blood clots.
- Half Grapefruit has 52 calories, 2 grams fiber and vitamin A. They have lycopene & flavonoids that fight cancer and also pectin that lowers cholesterol levels.
A large Kiwifruit has 56 calories, 3 grams fiber, vitamin C & E, magnesium and potassium. They help lower blood triglyceride levels.
- Half of a medium Mango has 54 calories, 1.5 grams fiber and vitamin A & E. They have antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin those guards against macular degeneration.
A medium Orange has 62 calories, 3 grams fiber, vitamin C, folate and potassium. They have a phytochemical hesperidin that lowers triglycerides and cholesterol.
Half a medium Papaya has 59 calories, 3 grams fiber, folate and vitamin A & C. They have papain, an enzyme that aids in digestion.
- A medium Peach has 58 calories, 2 grams fiber and vitamin A. They regulate immunity and guard against infections.
A medium Pear has 96 calories and 5 grams fiber. They have soluble fiber that prevents constipation and reduce cholesterol levels and prevent heart disease.
Half cup of Pineapple has 40 calories and 1 grams fiber. They have an enzyme bromelain that prevents clotting, inhibits cancers and speeds wound healing.
- Half Pomegranate has 53 calories, >1 grams fiber, vitamin A and potassium. It has an antioxidant tannins that regulates normal blood pressure.
- Three Prunes have 60 calories, 2 grams fiber and vitamin A. Prunes have the mineral boron that prevents osteoporosis and also sorbitol, a laxative.
- Half cup of Raspberry has 32 calories, 4 grams fiber, folate and magnesium. They have an antioxidant ellagic acid that prevents cervical cancer.
Half cup of Strawberry has 23 calories, 1.5 gram fiber and vitamin C. They have several antioxidants that guard against atherosclerosis and inhibit cancerous tumors.
A medium Tomato has 22 calories, 1.5 grams fiber, vitamin A, folate and potassium. They have an antioxidant lycopene that reduces cholesterol.
Half cup of Watermelon has 23 calories, >1 grams fiber and vitamin A. The fruit is 92% water and thereby assists in weight loss.