Astaxanthin is a powerful antioxidant required by the body to maintain optimal health. It belongs to the group of caretenoids, which are lipid antioxidants – whose movements are free-flowing and reach out to all parts of the body.
Astaxanthin is found in the following natural sources:
- Micro algae.
- Marine creatures like salmon, shrimp, lobster etc.
- Processed vegetarian sources where astaxanthin is added. This would be specifically mentioned on the product label.
Astaxanthin, as a supplement, is known for its healing powers on the body. It is one of the best scavengers which rids the body of free radicals. There are no side-effects of consuming astaxanthin. However, consult the doctor to decide on the necessity and appropriate quantity to be consumed.
For mental health:
- Studies indicate that astaxanthin supplement may have a significant effect on diminishing the effects of dementia, a mental condition. People with dementia have elevated levels of phospholipid hydroperoxide. However, when research was conducted on a group of people with dementia by giving them regular astaxanthin supplements, they showed signs of improvement.
- The fine mental capacities, including cognition abilities decrease as one ages. However, astaxanthin slows down aging and thereby helps in continued mental health.
For Eye health:
- A small dose of daily astaxanthin is sufficient to ensure eye health, as per research experts . It ensured retinal health. Being a lipid soluble anti-oxidant, it crossed the blood-brain-retina barrier. Thus, it ensures a cure to all kinds of diseases involving the retina. It is also beneficial in eye strain and eye fatigue.
- The effect of astaxanthin on other eye conditions like macular degeneration, glaucoma and cataract are being studied. The results, till now, have been positive, indicating that this red pigment anti-oxidant would have a greater demand in the future, as a potential eye disease cure.
For muscle and joint health:
- The muscles become weak and the joints, rigid, as one ages. A prescription of astaxanthin is effective in getting rid of such pains. As the pain subsides, the joints tend to become active and gradually regain their flexibility.
- It is also effective in rigid conditions like carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Being anti-inflammatory, it works wonders on elbow and shoulder pain,back pain, neuropathy and stiff shoulders.
- It works as well as prescription drugs for conditions like osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- All the above work is done by astaxanthin by blocking the chemicals that are responsible for the pain.
For skin health:
- Astaxanthin protects the skin from sun damage. Being an anti-oxidant, it acts as a natural sun-screen.
- Also, it moisturises, smoothens and hydrates the skin.
- It removes freckles, hyperpigmentation and acne scars.
- It restores skin elasticity and prevents premature aging.
- It protects the skin from more serious conditions like skin cancer by scavenging the free radicals.
- Astaxanthin helps those men who want to improve their fertility.
- Studies in this regard showed that men who were given supplements of astaxanthin showed improvement in their testosterone levels, thus improving their sexual abilities.
- Also, it helped men in countering depression, stress and fatigue.
Other general benefits of astaxanthin:
- A supplement of this antioxidant is beneficial for diabetics. This is so because astaxanthin acted by reducing the cellular sensitivity to glucose levels.
- Hence, it was found to be useful in countering other conditions too, which are fall-outs of longstanding diabetes, viz., diabetic retinopathy, diabetic nephropathy, diabetic neuropathy and stroke.
- Astaxanthin has proved to be a good immunity booster. It increased the body’s metabolic functioning and helped in protecting against various diseases.