Herbs are plants and trees whose parts including leaves, flowers and fruits are used for culinary and medical purposes. Herbs are storehouses of nutrients and phytochemicals. They contain many vitamins and including a little amount of herbs (say about two teaspoons) would give about half the daily requirement of some vitamins. Not only that, they add flavour and taste to any food item. They also add to the good looks of any cooked dish.
Some herbs which are useful are:
- Holy Basil
Some ideas to include herbs in your daily diet is to mix them in a vegetable soup, chop and use them as toppings in soups and salads and eat them as chutneys by grinding them along with other interesting spices.
Herbs have many curative properties. Most of the herbs are anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and have detoxifying properties. They promote health and are easily absorbed by the body.
For the respiratory system:
- Herbs prevent seasonal infections like cold and cough. They help in effecting a cure faster.
- Having a tea made of crushed ginger, at least thrice a day, cures cough and sore throat.
- Boil a few leaves of holy basil in two litres of water. Drink this water throughout the day to get rid of cough and cold.
- Applying mint oil on the chest and inhaling the vapours of water in which a few leaves of oregano have been dropped, would clear chest congestion.
For eye problems:
- Mint leaves are rich in vitamin A and K. Including a little quantity of mint in everyday diet would help in meeting a large part of the daily requirement of these vitamins. Hence, any eye disease which may be caused due to a deficiency of vitamin A gets obliterated by regular intake of mint.
- Even the leaves of oregano and cilantro should be consumed regularly.
For the skin:
- A paste made out of mint leaves applied on acne, just before retiring to bed, would cure pimples.
- The same applies to many skin diseases. A paste of mint or garlic or turmeric or holy basil leaves would help in countering such conditions. Apply the paste overnight for best results. Continue doing this until you get satisfactory results.
- Conditions like ringworm and dry eczema can also be treated with these natural ingredients. The best part of the herbs is that they do not cause any side effects and provide a long lasting remedy from the skin problem.
For detoxification and Cleansing:
- Many of our health problems are due to impurities and toxins accumulated in our body over a period of time.
- Drinking a glass of juice made out of the leaves of cilantro has a detoxifying effect on the body. For this purpose, wash the leaves of the herb thoroughly before juicing them. Add a little rock salt for enhancing the taste.
- Regular consumption of garlic also purifies the body and rids it of various impuritis.
For the stomach:
- Regular intake of mint leaves rids the stomach and intestines of worm infestations.
- A glass of hot milk to which a pinch of fresh turmeric powder is added is believed to cure constipation. To address this problem specifically, take the milk, early in the morning.
- Sesame seeds, when taken in prescribed doses, would rid a patient of abdominal pain and bloating.
Herbs are easy to grow and grow at a very fast pace. They can fit nicely into your kitchen garden. Once you succeed in growing them, you’ll realise the benefits of using the required amount of herbs, picked freshly from the kitchen garden.